There are so many wonderful polyphonic settings of the Corpus Christi Antiphon O Sacrum Convivium, some easier than others, um, Messiaen…
This beautiful text from Thomas Aquinas is the perfect expression of the Eucharistic mystery. It can be sung at the Offertory or at Communion:-
- O sacrum convivium!
- in quo Christus sumitur:
- recolitur memoria passionis eius:
- mens impletur gratia:
- et futurae gloriae nobis pignus datur.
- Translation of Latin
- O sacred banquet!
- in which Christ is received,
- the memory of his Passion is renewed,
- the mind is filled with grace,
- and a pledge of future glory to us is given.
We are singing Richard Farrant’s setting this Sunday which is one of the easier ones. This can be transposed up a semi-tone if like us you have no male tenor and one of your female altos has admirably stepped in to sing tenor. Thank you Mary!
Pray that God sends us a tenor – just for Lent!
Some other wonder settings: